Here is, in most drawn out development, the answer to Iivo's question: "Where do we come from?"
From early times, some information was preserved about our family, but much also was lost over years, and during wars, and during the continuous migration of the patriarchs in every one of the generations. This gleaning in a devastated field of records continues until my own memory became strong enough to retain vistas of life as I passed through it, and able to retain 'fireside talks' within our family and circle of friends.
From early times, some information was preserved about our family, but much also was lost over years, and during wars, and during the continuous migration of the patriarchs in every one of the generations. This gleaning in a devastated field of records continues until my own memory became strong enough to retain vistas of life as I passed through it, and able to retain 'fireside talks' within our family and circle of friends.
The prehistoric time, of course starts this story. It is necessary for a family to know its own foundation. Whether we admit it or not, the lives of our forebears, their experiences, good and bad, reflect forward into our own lives and recognizing the source of what we are about now, very often has a calming effect on how we take the daily fires, or it may act as a supporting call in making our best effort in this race to the finish, with real or imaginary goals.
The rest of this collection of memories is my life which is, or was, more or less my job. You will find much that may not interest you, but which made my life so exciting that I still sometime gasp in recognition of what happened. While I was working, much of my dinner table talk covered the excitements of my day, until Tiiu finally declared she had heard enough of it and wanted to hear something else. I tried. and here I sometimes try again. My life and my job took me to many places in our western world and presented me with many wonderful glens to revel in, as well as hurdles to overcome. In comparison to other lives, it may have little meaning, but this was my life.
Prehistory
Historic times
May I present
The rest of this collection of memories is my life which is, or was, more or less my job. You will find much that may not interest you, but which made my life so exciting that I still sometime gasp in recognition of what happened. While I was working, much of my dinner table talk covered the excitements of my day, until Tiiu finally declared she had heard enough of it and wanted to hear something else. I tried. and here I sometimes try again. My life and my job took me to many places in our western world and presented me with many wonderful glens to revel in, as well as hurdles to overcome. In comparison to other lives, it may have little meaning, but this was my life.
Prehistory
Historic times
May I present
I. I was born in Frankfurt on the Main, or, as it is written Frankfurt a/M. My first major move was from the maternity ward in Frankfurt to our family home in Oberursel. That was in 1934.
II. In 1938, we moved to Stuttgart. There, things got a bit confusing, because the family headquarter remained there, but the kids were removed to Switzerland.
III. Switzerland, first trip, in 1939. Kinderheim (children's home) Sonnenhalde, Unteraegeri, Canton Zug.
IV. Switzerland second trip, 1940. Kinderheim Bosshardt, Unteraegeri, Canton Zug.
VI. Our Mother obtained a permanent exit permit from the Germans in 1942. We rented a house in Oberaegeri, Canton Zug.
VII. 1943, new Home in Oberaegeri.
VII. Our father's place of business is bombed out in 1944 and he obtains a permanent exit visa from the Germans. The family is reunited in Oberaegeri.
VIII. 1944, Our father takes a new job in Rueschlikon near Zurich. We move to the neighboring town of Thalwil, Canton Zurich.
IX. 1946 Our father changes his job and we move to Geneva.
X. In the same year of 1946, we return to a suburb of Zurich in temporary housing.
XI. 1947, we find permanent housing in Kilchberg, Zurich.
XII. 1950, we move to Bern.
XIII. 1954, I leave Bern to go to college in Zurich. My Sister gets married and moves to Canada, My parents move back to Zurich. We take an apartment in Witikon.
XIV. 1958, Spring, I complete my college studies and take a job in Ravensburg, Germany.
XV. 1958, Fall, I get a call to join a company in Baden, near Zurich. I follow the call.
XVI. 1961, I emigrate to the USA. I land in Manhattan on April 28.
XVII. 1966 I change jobs and being married by now, we move to Somerville, New Jersey.
XVIII. 1968 Job change without moving the family, which now also includes our firstborn son.
XIX. 1971, we, move to Switzerland to a new job in St. Gallen. Now we travel with our son and our daughter.
XX. 1974, we return to the USA without change of employer. We settle in Altavista, VA. Our children complete high school and go off to college.
XXI. 1986, I loose my job in the course of a hostile take-over attempt directed at my employer. I purchase White Rock and become a merchant.
XXII. 1989, I accept a job offer in Vermont. We move to Whitingham, VT.
XXIII. 1992 I find a better job in Danvers, MA. We purchase a home in Groveland.
XXIV. I retire in 2002.
XXV. 2006, we sell our house in Groveland and purchase a new one in Goldsboro, NC.
This is where we are now. Our son lives with his family in Virginia Beach, VA, and our daughter currently in Sneads Ferry, NC, but in the process of relocating to Quantico, VA
XXVI. 2010 My sister Louise dies
XXVI. 2012 My Tiiu dies
XXVII My grandson Philip enters college
XXVI. 2010 My sister Louise dies
XXVI. 2012 My Tiiu dies
XXVII My grandson Philip enters college
No comments:
Post a Comment